[MUD-Dev] Introduction System

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 22 11:22:43 CET 2001

*kof* just clearing out my drafts folder... this is a pretty old message.

Mordengaard wrote:

> How do you plan to implement a "who" list under this system (if
> you plan to at all)?  I've always considered it important to allow
> players to see how many people are online at once, and the
> ubiquitous "who" command has always seemed the best way of doing
> that.

A few thoughts on the who list and it's ubiquity:

I've been to many muds and found no one in the 'who list' besides
myself.  In addition the communication channels have lots of
conversation prefixed by "Someone says..." due to invisibility,
sneaking, level or whatever.

It's my thought that the who list and global channels belong to a
realm outside the game (OOC).  When in game (IC) conditions such as
invisibility, hidden and the ability to see those affect OOC
communications, it is counter productive to the social atmosphere of
the game.

So I think in an -->RP<-- game the who list should show user
accounts but not player accounts as the user perception of an empty
game isn't conducive to participation.  :-/

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--