[MUD-Dev] Modelling combat

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 22 11:24:59 CET 2001

more replies to old messages....

Travis Casey wrote:
> Friday, July 14, 2000, 12:16:06 PM, Vladimir Prelovac
> <tomcat at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

>> For example if you look at two very powerful and skillful
>> characters engaged in combat, it may last for very long time with
>> both of them dodging and parrying other person's blows until they
>> both fall to the ground exhausted (a combat in "Red Sonia" movie
>> betwee Arnold and the girl comes to my mind).

> Comment: movie combats are not a good place to look to see how
> real combat works.  Now, for a mud, you're probably more
> interested in making it "seem right" than *be* right, so movie
> combats can be good examples, but I just wanted to point that out,
> since a paragraph before you were talking about how real combat
> works.

I'd like to point out that many players are more interested in fun
combat than real combat.

I'm most interested in combat systems that allow me to:

  1) wade naked into battle like Conan or Tarzan with just my
  broadsword/knife and luck.

  2) swing effortlessly from chandeliers and ship's rigging like
  Errol Flynn.

  3) break tables, chairs and bottles on the backs and heads of my
  opponents like John Wayne.

  4) leap from rooftops onto the back of horse like Zorro.

  5) run up walls and do flips like Jackie Chan.

Real combat is of course heavily dependent on the milieu in which
the characters live.

So does JC's UggUgg scenario implement real combat? :-) I'd like to
think that it does in his world.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--