[MUD-Dev] PvP Systems

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Fri Feb 2 21:05:18 CET 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Jon Lambert wrote:

> John Buehler wrote:

>> This may well be something that has been presented, considered and
>> rejected in the past, but I'm still hunting for PvP systems that
>> work.  'Working' means that players may engage in 'conflict
>> actions' such that they are entertaining for all concerned.

> I would bet that the majority of PvP "conflict actions" involve
> communication.  PvP action at that level is something that a system
> cannot detect, prevent or protect.  And that actions at the
> communications level are the primary determinant in whether a game
> is entertaining for all concerned.

That's the barrier I've run up against constantly. I don't see any way
to do it without AI that is far beyond what we have today. I don't
distinguish, for instance, between someone telling me I'm a cowardly
bastard and someone smacking me in the fact. They're both attacks, and
the fact that one is physical and one is not is merely a relatively
unimportant detail.

Thus, in Achaea at least, I wish to allow people the uninhibited
ability to really hurt someone who insults him or her. I think this is
in line with some semblance of what people view as roleplaying in a
game with knights and whatnot. I haven't yet discovered a way to
reasonable ensure a system like this doesn't get out of hand without
admin regulation (which is mainly how we do it currently. With a peak
of only 150 or so online at once, it can be done without massive
difficulty, though it's still an annoying thing to have to constantly
pay attention to).

--matt