[MUD-Dev] Dogma 2001

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sat Feb 3 12:18:48 CET 2001

I wandered over to Gamasutra to look for more information for my One
Billion Person world building project and ran across Ernest Adam's
"Dogma 2001" (http://www.gamasutra.com/).  I get the impression that
Ernest is having some fun with the game community.  If you look at the
original inspiration -- Dogme 95-- you will see that the rules for
Dogma films are completely unacceptable to 99.9999...% of film and
movie makers.

A few things to note about Dogma 2001.  One is his comment about
derivative works.  Both the film and entertainment industry clutter
the world with derivative works.  Part of it has to do with funding.
The same idea is used in the computer industry (wow, is that a
derivative too?).  You have to say things that people grab right away
and can equate with previous success.  "My concept is totally original
and includes a rip-off of most of Ebay, all based on Apple clones, and
topped off with Microsoft knockoffs."  And the investor hears "Ebay
(money), Apple (money every other year), Microsoft (money, antitrust,
more money)."

Another item is the "no good and evil" condition.  Seems that there
are several dominate themes in human history: sex, struggle of man
(sorry women do not struggle apparently), and "good and evil".  I mean
we clearly understand that there is pure evil in the world such as IRS
and ISP providers that deliberately drop the line and cause your
character to be killed on some mud.  And with enough time and search,
I am sure we could find pure good.

The other interesting one has to do with "no man-made black" except
for ink.  So I looked around my house with the intention of "poofing"
everything that is man-made and black.  Black cat survived, but I lost
some computer and stereo equipment.  Fortunately my car is blue but I
will use this technique to get a parking space.  For a few things I
had to look very closely -- I mean is black only "000000"?

frank