[MUD-Dev] bandwidth

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Sun Feb 4 20:00:51 CET 2001

[Matt]

> Achaea, we've discovered, is actually transmitting an average
> (very rough average based on probably not enough samples) of about
> 3.3k/player/minute, which seems high to me.

Well, obviously the amount of bandwidth per player per minute would
be highly customized for each individual server, which areas the
people are in, the degree of detail per area, the degree of detail
during fighting sequences, and by the use of Macro's on the client
side which translate into a huge outpouring of bandwidth compared to
normal usage.

What I would recommend is that you install a custom networking
library so that you can get real-time accurate results of your
bandwidth usage.  I've done this for use with Asheron's Call (on my
client of course), and I've found that they transmit about 1.2k/sec
down to me, and I transmit about .3k/sec up to them.  So I use very
little bandwidth.  Obviously when portalling, overrunning an area
boundary, respawning of monsters, and the amount of people within a
2 area radius will change this, but I've found this to be my average
during normal gameplay.

When macro'ing inside of one of the more populated meeting halls
these numbers jump drastically.  Somewhere around 4k/sec down,
1.3k/sec up.

Justin Rogers