[MUD-Dev] Slightly extreme reaction to IP and auction

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Mon Feb 5 16:42:14 CET 2001

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Greg Underwood wrote:

> True, but in the US with the various state-level Internet
> copyright "protection" acts [read: rackets] being passed (UDMA's I
> think?  sketchy on the exact acronym-of-the-week), those EULA's
> you skim-and-forget become binding, pretty much regardless of what
> they say.  All that stuff becomes enforcable w/o much due-process.
> Granted, these laws are complete trash, pushed through by
> lobbyists, primarily Microsoft, etc, but until challenged in
> court, they stand.  And under the DMCP, the web sites in question
> pretty much have to take down anything the alleged copyright
> holder says MAY be infringing BEFORE anything is done to decide if
> it is infringing or not (again sidestepping my understanding of
> free speach and due process {I'm not a laywer, etc}).  We'll see
> how much of a spine these new auction sites actually have.  Should
> be interesting to watch at least.  =)

I used the DMCP to shut down a game I felt violated our copyrights
about 8 months ago. It took a little more than that, but not too
much more. Basically, I just had our lawyer send a letter to the
ISP's legal department stating that under threat of perjury we swear
that the content in question was violating our copyright. The
offenders were given 24 hours to justify themselves. They failed to
do so, and the content was removed. I was quite pleased with the
result as they WERE violating our copyright quite openly, but I'll
admit it may have been a bit too easy to shut them down.

--matt