[MUD-Dev] volunteers

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Wed Feb 7 08:16:55 CET 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> This was interesting. One of my players, who was rejected as a
> builder due to writing not being up to snuff, is trying to pay _us_
> in order to do some building for us.

I've been waiting for someone to take advantage of this. It seems likely
there's a fun & profitable way to get more player-generated content. A
concern about player-generated content is that it won't be of high enough
quality, or inappropriate for the MUD. The administrators could review the
content, but that could take a lot of time.

But if players would pay to be able to generate content, they could pay a
two-part fee, a reviewing fee to determine if it's appropriate, and then
an implementation fee if it is appropriate.

One could also assign in-game property rights over the newly-created
content to a designated character or guild. RL intellectual property
rights would have to be contracted explicitly to be appropriate for your
MUD. But I'm wondering how much a large guild in a graphical game would be
willing to pay for something relatively simple like having a shield
emblazoned with their arms.