[MUD-Dev] Re: PvP systems

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Feb 8 11:41:32 CET 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q1/msg00431.php

On Wed,  7 Feb 2001 14:35:43 -0800 (PST)
<the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Greg Miller wrote:

>> I'm not saying I want a dangerous world. I want a world where I
>> don't have to deal with odd admin rules interpretations, admin
>> whims, and the irritating wait to have some employee come fix my
>> problem for me in those inevitable cases where another player
>> causes me trouble. I want the ability to apply negative
>> reinforcement in the face of inappropriate behavior.

> Fair enough, but the problem is how to give you the ability to apply
> negative reinforcement _only_ in the face of inappropriate
> behavior. Inappropriate behavior, unless you adept a very simplistic
> definition of it, can't, as of now, be completely defined in code.

I'm not terribly interested in enforcing my own personal moral
standards on players. If the players consider it inappropriate, it's
inappropriate in my book.

Of course, players may disagree. If you get fairly even numbers of
people vehemently defending different sides of the same issue, I
suspect you need some mechanism to reward those who agree to disagree
and punish those who don't.  That was the original motivation behind
that curse system. I wanted something that tended to reward conflict
avoidance. A number of other variations are also possible, and I'd
love to hear and related schemes people have come up with.