[MUD-Dev] New Scientist Article...

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Sat Feb 10 22:26:14 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt" <hhs at cbs.dtu.dk>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 3:10 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] New Scientist Article...

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, rayzam wrote:
>
> > Actually, it's a bit more complicated and a bit less complicated
> > than that :) In the exact case:
>
> >   Lift a stick from the table.   -  a neuron fires.
> >
> >   Watch someone life a stick from the table with the same arm motion -
> >   same neuron fires.
>
> > The activity could be getting ready to do the same action.
> > Social/group/herd animals. One senses or learns about danger, and
> > starts escaping. See a confederate do that, and you crank up the
> > neurons that would do the same thing, so you're more prepared to do
> > the same thing. Being more prepared neuronally means that you can
> > start that action quicker. And that could save you from a predator,
> > or other danger.
>
> I wonder what happends, if i watch someone lift a stick from the table
> and do that same action myself? What is the function of the 'mirror
> neurons' with respect to being 'shared' between two different
> 'systems' (observing and doing?).

    One of three outcomes:
    1) neuron fires the same for lifting and watching as for lifting alone.
The mirror response is less than the lifting response to begin with. As a
motor area, if the neuron fires above a threshold, the movement would occur.
Hence level above threshold is meaningless, and thus, lifting maximizes the
neuron's response regardless of watching another perform the action.
    2) neuron fires more. It is possible that the movement and the mirror
effect act synergistically, increasing the neuron's firing rate. As I stated
above, this extra signal may be meaningless. If it aids in training [as you
can make motor responses automatic, as per sports/self-defense/etc], then it
may still be useful, in this case. Mirroring someone's action, while
watching the action, may be even better for learning. All conjecture tho.
    3) neuron fires less. They could be competitive responses. Also, you are
lifting your stick while attending to the other person. Shifting attention
away, can lower a neuronal response.

    rayzam