[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 11 03:21:51 CET 2001

Ben Chambers wrote:

> Frank Crowell wrote:

>> Actually I see it more as tagged information so that I can do things
>> like:

>>   -entry tagged as "positional update" goes to the little dot
>>   viewing window, with a possible update to the velocity of the
>>   little moving dot

>>   -entry tagged with somebody said something", goes to the people
>>   talking window

> Interesting idea.  I think that I may actually work on developing a
> new mud standard, as this would be the best way to go.  next
> generation ANSI.

If you do look into this, there is some very good prior art in this
area, particularly with MCP:

  http://www.moo.mud.org/mcp/

The client TkMOO implements a number of MCP based features, which are
described at:

  http://www.awns.com/mcp/

and

  http://www.awns.com/tkMOO-light/plugins/

If that protocol doesn't suit you well and you still want something
easy to read at the human level for whatever reason (simplicity,
debugging, etc.), you might find XML-RPC or BXXP interesting.

World Forge also has Atlas, the mere mention of which, I suspect, will
bring forth a WF person to explain what it is and how it is useful. :)

One last comment for tonight and that's merely that looking at it as
next generation ANSI may be limiting in that ANSI is a way for the
server to specify a particular look/style to the client (your
terminal). With something newer, what you really want to be doing, and
as maddog's examples showed, is marking up the data according to its
meaning and letting the client handle the display of it.  If you use
something extensible, a particular server could send offer up a style
sheet or something that would provide some default display patterns
for that server or something.

  - Bruce