[MUD-Dev] volunteers

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Mon Feb 12 05:30:29 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Timothy Dang wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

>> This was interesting. One of my players, who was rejected as a
>> builder due to writing not being up to snuff, is trying to pay _us_
>> in order to do some building for us.

> I've been waiting for someone to take advantage of this. It seems
> likely there's a fun & profitable way to get more player-generated
> content. A concern about player-generated content is that it won't
> be of high enough quality, or inappropriate for the MUD. The
> administrators could review the content, but that could take a lot
> of time.

> But if players would pay to be able to generate content, they could
> pay a two-part fee, a reviewing fee to determine if it's
> appropriate, and then an implementation fee if it is appropriate.

> One could also assign in-game property rights over the newly-created
> content to a designated character or guild. RL intellectual property
> rights would have to be contracted explicitly to be appropriate for
> your MUD. But I'm wondering how much a large guild in a graphical
> game would be willing to pay for something relatively simple like
> having a shield emblazoned with their arms.

Ahh, I think you misunderstand me. We've had a system like you
describe for years. People can pay to alter pretty much anything they
want. People buy things like a shield emblazoned with their arms
frequently (although as I'm sure you know, Achaea is a text mud, not a
graphical mud).

What I meant was that a player had approached me about paying us in
order to build things like areas, which don't benefit him or his
character any more than any other character.  It's like someone
offering to pay Verant to be a Guide in Everquest.

--matt