[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Wed Feb 14 07:38:02 CET 2001

I think 'connection state recovery' to be unwise. The example given
above clearly make this apparent.  If you are going to buffer up
commands - you need to validate their age and if a client loses
connection, for any reason, these commands should be deleted or marked
as deleted... IMHO.

I'm not sure that connection state recovery should mean what Felix
thinks it should be.  In UO, Raph can verify this, the last save is
where you will be placed in the event of some disconnection. I
remember playing in the early days and getting whacked by some
MOB... a few moments later, my connection was reset (I think they were
having server issues). When I finally got back on - I was sent back in
time, to a place before my encounter with that evil ettin :) This was
an occasion that made me happy; On other occasions... I was not as
lucky.

Persistence is, well, it's a misnomer. The server is a bit like MS
Word...  (Forgive my comparison) ...If you have the auto save feature
turned on and are typing along at 70-80 WPM your going to lose some of
the content when Windows crashes. Basically, your left with a capture
of the document at some point in time. Most MUD servers operate
following the same principles.  Therefore, the world is state
persistent and would definitely rule out executing buffered commands
for each user with out some validation/comparison of the servers time
and time stamp of the message.

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser