[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Thu Feb 15 09:18:32 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:16:35 +0000 (GMT)
> the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
>
> > People often talk about the MUD community and whatnot, but it
> > really is a load of crap.
>
> Communities are built upon mutually understood (even if only tacit)
> agreements and a sense of shared participation.  On this basis I'll
> agree that there is no one community -- certainly the philosophical
> and political spread of the field is too large for that -- but there
> are most certainly (diffuse) communities within the various genres.

> Note that activity level does not a community define.  'Tis a
> virtual thing, a creature of perception of those chared agreements.

Shared participation IS activity. Your very definition of a community is
activity.

> > ere is no central place where this supposed MUD community gathers,
> > for instance.
>
> Oh?

Well, I mean, the only places I can think of with any legitimate claim to
any significant swath of the MUD pie are Mudconnector and Stratics. I
can't think of any other participatory MUD site with even a significant
fraction of these two.

--matt