[MUD-Dev] Modular Design Issues RFC

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 15 20:35:05 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:16:33 -0800
Ryan Rhodes <ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen alot of references to this C & C model.  Is it yours?

It is not original to me.  I first ran across it in reference to
Demo's project, but its not original to him either (its a rather old
model, going back at least to the late 1960's).

> Could you point me to a reference?

Sorry, I'm not currently aware of and canned or academic references
to it.  Then again, I've not looked for one.  Please report back if
you find anything interesting.

> Although it doesn't really matter, I'm thinking at the moment I'm
> going to run it from an NT or 2000 machine.

<sigh>

> Could anyone out there tell me which JVM's implement threads as
> lightweight and which as hardwieght.

If you are really married to Java as a development platform I would
tend towards either Solaris/SPARC or AIX/PPC as a development
platform.  Ultra 30's can be had for under US$1,000 these days, and
decent AIX boxen are about the same price.  Part of this preference
is based on a generally dim view of Microsoft products, along with
the more simple fact that MS will no longer support or ship Java or
a JVMs on or with their products (IIRC).

> When It's all said and done are my connection threads even going
> to be able to make use of a multiprocessor machine.  Of the JVM's
> that can actually make use of an SMP machine, does anyone know
> which accomplish it with the least resources?

I know they would be able to under Solaris/SPARC.  YMWV elsewhere.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu