[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 15 23:06:44 CET 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:30:19 +0000 (GMT)
the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I just bought a radio drama of The Lord of the
> Rings produced by the BBC that is really fantastic. Into the 7th
> hour of it (13 hours long or so) and really loving it. I'm
> completely enthralled by it, in fact. I suspect the movies will be
> a major disappointment to me after this. The speech isn't stripped
> of adjectives of course and is generally quite enjoyable to listen
> to. Yet somehow, I don't feel like adjectives constrain my mind. I
> feel like, when used properly, they assist, but do not dominate,
> whereas graphics simply overwhelm and dominate. This is a poor way
> of explaining it, but I was just struck by the question of why an
> adjective and a graphic seem to affect the imagination in
> different ways, despite seeming equivalent in their own realms.

There is a Japanese art form (I think its also found in China, but I
know it as Japanese) whose proper name I don't recall, but which is
based on the idea that the entire image is painted with a bamboo
brush in one single continuous motion.  Critical to the form is the
art of understatement; of saying (in the manner of lines and form)
only exactly what is needed to communicate both the image and the
emotive and philosophical overtones.

Fiction is not that different, subjective game environment
especially so.  What is left unsaid is often, if not usually, more
important than what was said.  (You are supposed to pause
significantly here and think about your relationship with your SO or
spouse in relation to this point and nod wisely) There is a certain
level of distress in seeing your gaunt ascetic
Elric-Of-Melnibone-like character rendered on screen as an almost
cherubic Schwartzenagger-esque dwarf if you can imagine such a thing
(look at the proportions of graphical game characters: they're *way*
off).  The picture says too much and it loses all emotive content.
The glittering crown of the ancient kings, the mythical symbol of
centuries of magical and awe inspiring history tends to look like
just another piece of gold trinketry on-screen -- you can see too
much of the crown, and nowhere near enough of its import and effect.
And worse, making the crown glow or send out schlock theatrical rays
justs cheapens the effect and renders it almost comical if not
tawdry.

Graphics are a very powerful communications medium, and
unfortunately in some ways, its a medium that generally only knows
how to bellow in ear deafening tones (Myst was an exception, but
then note the structural parallels between Myst and eary Infocom
games).

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu