[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Fri Feb 16 09:30:18 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, rayzam wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure how a person can be representative of a painting
style. His paintings can be, but he can't be. Two painters can paint
in a similar style yet have completely different personalities, and
yet be liked by the same audience.

> However, you're a case in point. You put forth your opinions about
> political systems and PvP [in another ongoing thread]. So I take you
> to be representative of the mindset of the players who enjoy playing
> in that environment.

Yes, but I chose to create a game that I want to play, and I
definitely make some decisions that would tick me off if I were a
player rather than implementor. I remember Dr. Cat posting something a
few weeks ago expressing his disdain for professional designers who
only create in one genre or one style. I'd have to agree with him. I
hope that if I continue designing games, I'll branch out to design
things that I might not even have any interest at all in playing. It's
a challenge. Visualize your market, and then try to get inside their
heads to create a product that they are going to want to play.

--matt