[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Feb 16 14:51:03 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:28:10 -0600
Hulbert, Leland <LHulbert at czn.com> wrote:

> <EdNote: Duplicate HTML copy removed>

Argh!  HTML bad!  Argh!

> Does anyone use a system that does NOT re-pop mobs in rooms?

Yes.  I build off both instantiated and cumputed/simulated economies
in my NPC populations.

> My point is that spontaneous generation was disproved a couple of
> centuries ago.

This would only seem significant if the simulation aspects of your
environment are primary.

> Does anyone have a system that requires new mobs to populate only
> if they have "parents"?

I do that loosely with my Orc breeder/fighter/noble/king model, but
I also embed a stationary Orc population behind certain cavern
systems (inaccessable virtual locations) such that a certain level
of Orc population there is guaranteed in the caverns (the attempt is
to model a system large enough to be impossible to map, especially
given the unknown boundaries of Orcish magic (which could enclude
time travel).

> Much more realistic, as a sufficiently avid killer could wipe out
> a race of mobs, but harder to code, and much more difficult to
> administrate, I would imagine.

This is why I embedded breeders at certain points.  Extinction is
annoying.  Population variation is interesting.  Growth curves and
cycles are interesting.  Flat lines are boring.  Playing
whack-a-mole with a racial population is potentially interesting.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu