[MUD-Dev] Modular Design Issues RFC

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Fri Feb 16 18:06:42 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:16:33PM -0800, Ryan Rhodes wrote:

> Although it doesn't really matter, I'm thinking at the moment I'm
> going to run it from an NT or 2000 machine.  Could anyone out there
> tell me which JVM's implement threads as lightweight and which as
> hardwieght.  When It's all said and done are my connection threads
> even going to be able to make use of a multiprocessor machine.  Of
> the JVM's that can actually make use of an SMP machine, does anyone
> know which accomplish it with the least resources?

Well, I can only comment on the Sun JVMs as I haven't looked into the
others such as that from IBM.

Essentially there are two threading models used in Sun JVMs, there are
light weight "green" threads and heavy weight "native" threads.  Green
threads are implemented within the JVM and are unable to make use of
multiple processors due to that.  Native threads use an underlying
native thread package and can take advantage of multiple processors if
the underlying native thread package can.  This is certainly the case
under NT or 2000 and also the case under Solaris and Linux. NetBSD
doesn't have full SMP support yet and the FreeBSD port of the JVM
doesn't support native threads as yet.  I have no experience with
other architectures (e.g. MacOS) so can't comment on them.

In terms of which of these uses the least resources, you basically need
to compare the native threading methods.

Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494
Information Technology                Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com