[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs: Pointers to System Specs?

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Fri Feb 16 23:33:35 CET 2001

If I may throw this somewhat meta'ish question in...:

I'd like to know the system specs of the larger MMORPGs (UO,
EverQuest, etc) - not in all the detail, just an overview of how they
are implemented on how many servers, what techniques they use to store
and exchange data and to do load balancing, how much data they handle,
and how many concurrent users they can support before showing signs of
strain. Oh, and how much development time it took to get things
running :-)

Reason for my question is that at work we implement a 'large'
client-server system (if anybody is interested, I can tell her/him
off-list what we use), and everybody is really happy that we can
support 1500 concurrent users before things start to really slow down
- but I have this nagging feeling that 1500 users is far from being
impressive in the real world.

Thanks!
Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc