[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sat Feb 17 16:15:32 CET 2001

J C Lawrence writes:

> Homo Sap. doesn't have a good history of ecological self discipline,
> especially when the maleffects are not immediate.  Earth is
> scattered with the history of such man-made disasters from the
> Sahara on down to the Tragedy of the Commons.

And MUDs don't have a good history of providing a satisfactory
treatment of a number of processes that have equivalents in the real
world - such as the treatment of mob populations.  If all the
roleplayers out there can insist that a MUD can encourage everyone to
roleplay, then I can insist that a MUD can encourage everyone to
conserve natural resources.  I'd rather fight the good fight there
than accept that spontaneous generation is the way to go.

JB