[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 18 04:00:15 CET 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Matt Mihaly writes:
>
> > I didn't say anything about entertaining. I was just commenting that
> > realism is not the goal. If it was, there'd be no need to play in a
> > "non-real" virtual world. (Note that I believe the virtual world is
> > just as real as anything else, but I don't think he meant real in
> > the sense that I do when I say that.)
>
> I know.  I brought up 'entertaining' because entertainment is the goal
> of a game.  That's why players go to them.  You call it pleasure, I
> call it entertainment.

Agreed, we mean the same thing by pleasure and entertainment.

> > But why is exploiting the software and optimizing gameplay not
> > reality?  If I found out that I could magically produce a bunch of
> > money in real life by picking up and putting down $20 bills over and
> > over again, you bet your ass I'd do it.
>
> I'm left speechless.  With a difference in philosophy like that, we're
> done.  I am, anyway.

You're left speechless? *I'M* left speechless. You're telling me that if
you found a "hole" in the structure of reality that allowed you to
shortcut something (like the creation of wealth) you'd not take
advantage of it? Actually, I'm not really sure it is possible to
contemplate something in reality that is unreal, as if it was unreal it
couldn't be a part of reality. I wouldn't see it as any different from
using wind power to generate electricity.

Why in the name of God would you NOT do it? You're not
really hurting anyone if you don't produce enough to devalue the
currency. All you're doing is ensuring that you don't have to work for a
living anymore.

--matt