[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 18 14:51:40 CET 2001

Matt wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Jay Carlson wrote:
>
> > This cynic sez that there's no MUD community and no MOO community,
> > and only loose connections between different groups that use the
> > same software.
>
> A fine point Jay. People often talk about the MUD community and
> whatnot, but it really is a load of crap. There is no central place
> where this supposed MUD community gathers, for instance.

Oh no.  There's a living, thriving and vibrant mud community. :-)

You are certainly right though.  There is no centralized gathering
place, and it's certainly fractured and fragmented into many
sub-communities.  And as somebody else pointed out the definition of
community is a slippery one at best.

Now the cynic in me looks at it in a different way.  People shout
there is no "mud community" when they want the generic "it" to do
something and can't find anybody interested in doing that something.
Or when someone is doing something they don't like.

Now I see the analogy to my/your home towns has already been beaten up
pretty good in other posts.  Nevertheless.. there are persons shouting
in my own home town, that "There is no community!".  Why are they
doing that?  Well see the last paragraph. :-P

My thoughts are... If there's an idea, interest, or project that's
worth doing, individuals of that "community" will organize it and
interested members of that "community" will band together to get it
done.  And if the end result is worthy, it will be lauded and people
will reference it, talk about it, and ultimately (this is key) carry
on with whatever they were doing before... :-)

I think some people only define "community" if there's some uber
centralized proactive entity directing it.  My view is simply this.
If I'm looking for something, be it help, information, or whatnot to
do with muds, I know where to find someone who will help or provide
that information.  So from my POV, a community does indeed exist.

It's probably best left undefined, lest somebody come along and define
it in ways we wouldn't like. ;-)

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--