[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Sun Feb 18 19:00:52 CET 2001

Recent discussion from the thread on Semi-graphical MUDs has inspired
me to begin developing a new MUD standard.  My basic idea calls for
using HTML like tags to tell the client to divide the messages from
the server into seperate windows, allowing a map to be displayed and a
seperate stat window to be displayed.  After some consideration I have
come up with the following concept.  Would anyone like to comment on
it?  Would anyone be willing to help me develop it?

The types of messages from the server can be divided into 3 types of
messages.  The first is scrolling text.  This is like the standard MUD
output, where looks much like a scrolling document.  The second type
is a coordinate screen.  This would be used for a map or something
similar.  Where you overwrite the text starting at a given set of
(x,y) coordinates.  The final type is the static labeled screen.  This
would be used for stuff like statistics, where the label remains the
same but the value changes.

Can anyone think of any other kinds of information that the server
might want to utilize?