[MUD-Dev] Defining a community

Klyde Beattie agius_ at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 23:57:51 CET 2001

From: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:25:23 -0800

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:44:27 +0000 (GMT)
the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> I don't buy that. A community is more than just the viral spread of
> information. Me going to Pakistan and talking about how we live in
> Mill Valley does not make anyone I've talked to a part of the
> community of Mill Valley (assuming there is one).

To quote Phil Greenspun (MIT)

"A community is a group of people with varying degrees of expertise in
which the experts attempt to help the novices improve their skills."

  Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing
  a href="http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/community"

I think this defines a community quite well, as a down to earth
definition. I'm sure you all see that happening in muds and
here. Therefore the community isn't defined as the area where people
meet, (especialy with a virtual area) but the entire group of people
who take part in mudding and developing.

Ironicly, Phil's company (ArsDigita) has developed a Community System
which would be a great tool for building A community web page if
anyone other than me is interested. I'm just getting familiar with it
these last few months.

In further pondering i realize that this string as gotten off topic
for mud-dev (i think), so perhaps we should find a better place to
discus communitys.