[MUD-Dev] Room-based vs. Coordinate based[Was semi-graphical MUDs]

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Feb 19 10:00:15 CET 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:19:38 -0600
Hulbert, Leland <LHulbert at czn.com> wrote:

> I found the BGP in the archives...beautiful!  I also was intrigued
> by Fortress Fract.

The main problems with Fortress Fract were that it was just too
damned big and opaque to the players.  Even once you knew the
"solution" the level of sheer work required to do it was excessive
(hour and a half to two hours to get down, another hour to get back
up if you were lucky).

> Though I would have probably given up before completing it.

Everyone did give up, even after I handed out the solutions.

> I can't find a post describing Mobius Row.  Is it out there
> somewhere?  Just the name evokes some wonderful imagery.

Mobius row was a simple street (of that name) with a variety of
stores and such located off each side.  The base trick was that
there were actually two streets running parallel, with the rooms in
each street having identical discriptions.

  North: (room1)---->(room2)---->(room3)---->(room4)---->(room5)

  South: (roomA)<----(roomB)<----(roomC)<----(roomD)<----(roomE)

ie room1 and roomA had identical names and descriptions, as did
room2 and roomB etc.  If you stood in any room on the street and
went north, you'd arrive in the appropriate Room1-5.  If you want
south, you arrived in the appropriate roomA-E.  As an example, if
you were in room3 and wished to get to roomD (which is identical to
room4) you would have to go north twise and south once.

To help make this amusing I had the shops and so forth that hung off
each side of the the steet also vary depending on which direction
you were last going (eg east from Room2 was an Armourer, and east
from roomB was a baker (or perhaps a duplicate armouror that had its
own room)).

Simple annoying graph stuff.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu