[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Feb 19 13:19:06 CET 2001

Matt Mihaly writes:

> I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but it seems to me that it is
> fundamentally impossible to have meaningful player interaction
> without the possibility for one player spoiling play for others. You
> can try to minimize it certainly, but it's always going to be
> there. It's just a fact of life I think we're going to have to live
> with. We live with it in the rest of life certainly.

Ooo!  Another salvo!

Your game system belief is rooted in your personal beliefs about how
life works, and it doesn't happen to coincide with the beliefs of a
number of major religions.  To me, that means that there are a lot of
people out there who aren't interested in having their play spoiled.
Remember that *spoiling* play is defined by a negative effect.
Consentual PvP is not spoiling play.  So if I say that I'm cool with
having somebody jump on me at a random time, that is unexpected, but
I've said that it's okay.  It's consentually disruptive, and is
entertaining.

This is why it's not entertaining in the real world to be mugged, but
it can be entertaining to roughhouse with friends.

JB