[MUD-Dev] MUD Schools

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Mon Feb 19 20:08:18 CET 2001

In the new generation of MUD players, MUD schools seem to be sort of a
mythical area.  Everyone knows what they were SUPPOSED to do, but I
ask you, did they do this, or were they simply there as an excuse.

The MUD that I have played most actively is Astaria, which is a
totally unique codebase.  My favorite feature is it's version of the
MUD School.  instead of having an entire school, it has heritage
levels.  It has you play the game through 10 heritage levels, which
are relatively simple to advance, about as difficult as getting from
level 1 to 2.  The exp needed can be obtained in about 2 hours of game
play.  But for the experienced player this is much quicker.  I like
this concept, because it gives the player 2 important things.  Both
experience and exposure.  The best part is you can't join a guild
until you have advanced the 10 levels.  You get a newbie spell or two,
but then get to learn about the other guilds before joining one of
them.