[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Tue Feb 20 04:56:48 CET 2001

From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

> Likwise in a game. It seems batty to me to pretend that a player is
> the first one to do a quest when it's been done a thousand times
> before and every other person in the land knows how to do it. It
> seems even crazier to tell me that I DON'T know how to do the quest,
> when my best friend Bob the Orc Slayer just told me how to do it.

It seems batty to me to design quests like that for MUDs in the first
place.  Single-player games that are played once-through and then
un-installed, fine.  But they have no place in MUDs.  They don't
"fit", and the problems they create lead to weird solutions like "this
npc has X, unless you haven't heard about X from that other NPC first,
in which case he doesn't".