[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Feb 20 11:28:06 CET 2001

msew wrote
on 19 February 2001 12:37

> The Sword of Doom should take someone 12 hours of camping to get.
> (ie 2 swords enters the game every day) The casual gamer will NEVER
> get the Sword Of Doom from adventuring for it. And it will take a
> bit of time for enough swords to trickle down in the economy for
> them to trade for it.

> enter quests: To get a Sword Of Doom via quests you have to do at
> least 12 1 hour quests.  The casual gamer then is able to play for
> his 5 or 6 hours a week (if that) and be able to get his very own
> Sword of Doom.  (NOTE: probably would want to increase the time for
> a quest based version of the sword as the risks would probably not
> be the same.)

The problem with that though is that it becomes nearly impossible to
throttle the speed the item gets into the game. In effect, if each
section is a one hour camp then they can enter the game every one hour
assuming full utilisation. The only way to prevent this is to then
make it a 12 hour camp and you are back where you started, with lots
of unhappy people sat there hours on end.

The only other alternative I see is to make something sufficiently
hard that you need a lot of online friends to help out. This then
alienates the casual gamers, but will effectively throttle the speed
the items get in.

Dan