[MUD-Dev] MUD Schools

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Tue Feb 20 19:21:45 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Alex wrote:

> And never underestimate the inability of people to read them.

> We have well over half a megabyte of help files on VieMud and a (I
> think) fairly good system to access them.  Maybe not as good as some
> systems out there, but for a tinkerer, not a half-bad job.  More
> often than not, we get people asking (including staff members) about
> something that is in a help entry that they would have seen had they
> typed "help <that word that they were asking about>".

True and I think this reflects the completely horrible help on almost
all muds.  People get trained to ask questions instead of typing
'help'.

That said, I think an introductory training area before themud proper
has a place.  They can be extremely good at answering all the first
time questions and training your players into certain habbits, like
using help.

Good luck!
David.