[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 20 23:43:46 CET 2001

Ben Chambers wrote:

> Web management is nice, but there are better alternatives.  A client
> that displays the same information is better, because it allows more
> functionality.  The web is limited by the design of the html and the
> other standards, which needless to say, weren't DESIGNED for MUDs.
> Using a language designed for MUDs makes much more sense.

Ben,

Web interfaces aren't necessarily limited to HTML.  With tools like
Mozilla, you can build one in XUL, and MS has discussed a similar type
of system. (I think IBM has an XML markup for UI as well, check Alphaworks?)

I was also hoping that you could take this opportunity to spell out your
thoughts on what is wrong with some of the existing standards (or some
of the products that aren't standards but are quite useful) that makes
them difficult to deploy within a MUD context?  How will your designs
overcome those design problems and provide value?

Some standards or products that I think would do really well within the
MUD context might be:

  * RDF
  * XML-RPC (or SOAP)
  * XUL (from Mozilla)
  * XML and XSL in general
  * RSS (Syndicate news about your game to other sites)
  * HTML 4 + CSS does well for many things.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, so feel free to add to my list. :)

Thanks,

  - Bruce