[MUD-Dev] "Doing a dungeon" (was: Permadeath or Not?)

msew msew at ev1.net
Wed Feb 21 05:19:52 CET 2001

At 11:39 02/20/2001 +0000, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> I'd argue this doesn't work either. Your well balanced group is
> making its way through a dungeon, finding it tough but
> manageable. They then get to said uber mob and get wiped out.

> That last bit wasn't fun. Nor will getting ones belongings
> back. This kind of setup just encourages camping.

the uber mobs doesn't have to wipe them out :-) I just find it really
hard to understand why the console games can make the uber boss mob at
the end of the level and have it balanced, yet the mmp world can't :(
(ie they balance it for single player and multi-player no problem)

quick dirty example:

  uber mob is balanced for 10 lvl 50 characters.

  uber mob sees that there are 40 characters.

  uber mob /shouts to the zone: "I see you have brought a host against
  me!  i shall fight fire with fire!  Minions to me!"

  *minions appear until the sides are balanced to what the game
  designers wanted this battle to be balanced as*

(note: on various muds i have played on the are designers would just
make it so that the mob could only be attacked by N people.  those
extra 20 you brought just can't get close enough to hit at this time.
certainly they can replace fallen comrades tho)

msew