[MUD-Dev] Teaching ethics in MUDs (was Re: "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG")

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Wed Feb 21 13:02:25 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Ananda Dawnsinger wrote:

> > From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
>
> > I've long said that we need to be able to know how old and what sex
> > the player behind the character is.  Particularly when the player is
> > under 21.
>
> Age I can definitely understand.  But sex?  Why do we need to know
> whether a player is male or female?  What purpose does that
> information serve?

Age is only partly a problem.  People below about the age 15 are
mostly just annoying, due to constantly repeating the same things.
But that is to be expected and not a real hassle...  15-17 people
sometimes try and be trouble makers, usualy they are not very
sophisticated at it though, make lots of enimies and eventually get
deleted and or site banned.  Sure they are problem players, but they
are obvious and easily identifiable ones.

Over the age of 18 the problem players are much more sophistacted and
devious.  They exploit loopholes in rules, and generally do things
that are anti-social but not exactly against the rules.  They may make
a lot of enimies but they often make friends too.  These sorts of
problem players are the hardest and worst to deal with.  Gender is not
a major determining factor here either.

Good luck!
David/