[MUD-Dev] Defining a community

Wed Feb 21 16:57:53 CET 2001

Mark Watson wrote:

> If you want a better (my opinion) book on the actual subject of web
> communities, try "Community Building on the Web : Secret Strategies
> for Successful Online Communities" by Amy Jo Kim

Yes, it is decent, but no references to speak of.  Jenny Preece's
"Online Communities: designing usability, supporting sociability" is
with references, but less "consultant" like in nature.  What I dislike
about both books are that I get the impression that they assume that
the reader is completely ignorant (close to braindead) and that
getting a high page count is what really matters... (I suspect that
the useful information found in those two books could fit in a small
booklet, but people won't buy those, people only pay for lots of paper
and ink).

(Btw, I don't believe there is one definition of "community", not even
in the field of community research. So you have to define the term
when you use it.)

Ola.