[MUD-Dev] Mozilla as a client (was: A new MUD-standard)

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Feb 21 18:04:24 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce" <bruce at puremagic.com>
> Hi Kwon,
>
> It is great to see other people interested in Mozilla! :)

I do web development on the side... it's nice to have a browser that
ACTUALLY supports the standards...

> started to use it and saw how many memory leaks and such it had and
> ended up taking a several month detour into working on memory leaks
> instead. :/

Yeah, My big problem with Mozilla is how slow it can be
sometimes... And the 17mb of memory it takes up.  I hope they fix
those leaks soon, that's one of my the cons to using it IMHO, I still
use it if all I intend to do for a couple hours is web browse, you
can't fault the speed in which it puts things on your screen.

> Beyond what you mention, there are also things like the upcoming SVG
> support, the existing support for RDF, and (I believe) XML-RPC. XSL
> would be nice as well to provide a stylesheet-based way of
> converting from text with markup (in XML) to a visible and viewable
> format for the user to read.

I know about the XML and MATH-ML, I haven't heard much on XSL-T or
XSL-FO support for NWLayout or SeaMonkey, but I had thoughts of
passing XML data to the client and using scripting to render it
correctly.  That'd solve several problems since you can simply delete
the appropriate node when the time comes.

> In terms of implementing a basic chat client in Mozilla, have you
> looked at Chatzilla which implements enough of the IRC protocol and
> does scrollback and everything?  It opens a socket from within JS
> and goes from there.

> andreww at Netscape was also working on a single-player RPG type
> engine using Mozilla, which may have useful XUL for handling
> graphics and such.

No, I haven't looked much into these things yet, but when I have some
spare time I might look into them.