[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Nathan F.Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Wed Feb 21 19:22:48 CET 2001

Eli Stevens <wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com> said:

> > Backstory has the nasty characteristic of setting expectations
> > rather high as well.  Flowing prose and expansive imagery suggests
> > to players that this is how the game world will be.  But only
> > uninterrupted prose can match that expectation, and a game, whether
> > textual or graphical, cannot do the job.  Let the player experiences
> > set player expectations for the evolving plot line.  Particularly if
> > you think that you might not be able to do everything that you hoped
> > you could when you started out.

> As a counterpoint I offer:

>   http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1999Q1/msg00661.php

> Granted, we need more (a lot more) to really be able to say that the
> system can produce prose (rather than repeat it, re-stitching it as
> necassary).  But, what is there _is_ decent reading.

Heh.  Just a note... I'm working on getting my server back together,
and have resurrected my old design notes for the client, and for the
portion of the early server that generated the above text.  I'm
starting to feel like I can get this thing back off the ground, maybe
even really prepare it for a real graphical client, and commercial
consideration.  Only, I'm a backend guy.  Anyone interested in looking
at something like this with serious intent?  I'd like to keep the
ability to "chronical" adventures, even when the GUI goes on, I think.

--
Nathan F. Yospe  email: yospe at kanga.nu nyospe at a2i.com nyospe at pacbell.net
Don't mind me, I'm just insane - there's someone else here, in my brain.