[MUD-Dev] Pay for Play (or Commercial Rolecall)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 22 00:43:30 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:48:52 -0500
Jon Lambert <tychomud at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I am as suprised as you to learn that Stephen King and Margaret
> Mitchell were actually roleplaying rather than merely writing
> stories.

At one point you posited that MUD-Dev was a MUD.  Arguably, if
MUD-Dev is a MUD, then a web board focussed on rolepaying within a
MUD, could itself entertain roleplaying.

  Of course carry that argument gar enough and Monica Lewinsky
  becomes a role player.

The problem is not that there are limits on what is and is not
roleplaying, it is that those limits are not recognised as
arbitrary, and are not stated beforehand in any decisions or
conversation built on what is or is not "roleplaying".  Much like
the definition of "MUD" we all walk about on the basis of knowing it
when we see it.

  I could argue, probably convincingly, that I'm roleplaying in
  writing this message if I really put my mind to it.  Ditto for you
  with any reply you may make (the unspecific nature of the
  definition really helps here).

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu