[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Feb 22 10:19:55 CET 2001

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Actually, XML turned out to be too slow, so we created an XML-like
> network transfer protocol, called Atlas.  It uses codecs to represent
> the exact communication format.  So it *can* do plan XML.  But it can
> also do compressed XML, or even encrypted data streams.  Our plans are
> to eventually create an efficient all-binary transfer format.  And the
> way Atlas is designed, the server and client can negotiate between
> themselves which exact format to use.

Yes, it is the sort of thing that the MPEG-4 guys did too with their
binary stream format where they get about a 30 to 1 compression.  You can
have a human-readable (at least somewhat readable) format, but the
computers don't care what it looks like so you can save a lot of bandwidth
by compression in some style -- assuming that your uncompression routines
are fast.

frank