[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Thu Feb 22 19:07:10 CET 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Nathan F.Yospe wrote:

> the_logos at www.achaea.com said:
>
> > I doubted then and I doubt now. That prose looks very stitched
> > together to me.
>
> > Output of command: focus logran
>
> >   - You adjust your optical cybernetics to focus on the pack of
> >     Logran drones.
> >   - There are fourteen of them.
> >   - Magnification is at x300.
> >   - The pack is led by a class three hunter.
> >   - The Logran drones are carrying laser rods.
> >   - The Logran hunter c3 is carrying a rail cannon.
> >   - They are heading in your direction.
> >   - They are about 250 meters away.
>
> Ouch.  Accurate, and placed where it hurts.  Look, my goal was never
> to, as it were, write the Great American Novel.  I do that with my own
> hands at odd hours of the night, as further inspiration strikes and
> leaves me, sleepless and strained, with no choice but to purge it.
> This was, quite simply, an attempt to look less stilted than standard
> text muds.  If the stuff I create ever became prose, it would still
> lack the structure, and the vision, of a novel.  Doesn't mean I
> shouldn't set novels in the same universe...

I wasn't trying to insult your coding. I guess I'm not familiar enough
with most text muds. They really tend to have text that is more stilted
than that?

> > Now, granted, none of us are the next James Joyce and none of the
> > writing for MUDs needs to be winning Pulitzers. The Physmud stuff
> > isn't bad. But, it DOES look stitched together and from the examples
> > there wouldn't do a very convincing impression of storytelling.
>
> Gee, thanks.  Later stuff looked less... accurate, gramatically, but
> the structure was far less stitched.  Mainly because it used sets of
> grammar constructs and sentances as templates, choosing from a vast
> set with the randomization weighting based on environmental variables,
> instead of, as you correctly identified, stringing together pieces of
> output as above.

Cool. Well, obviously I would be a big fan of any tools that actually did
manage to write properly and well for a MUD. Sure would cut down on a lot
of boring work.

--matt