[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 20:58:05 CET 2001

Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Wed 21 Feb, the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> > Shrug. Then there's no meaning to the word. Anything could exist in
> > theory. The physical laws of the universe could undergo a radical
> > change tomorrow. As we're not aware of the complete laws of the
> > universe (if there is such a thing at all), there is no way to know
> > this won't happen. If the mere possibility of something means it is
> > 'real' then I do not find myself capable of thinking of anything
> > that isn't real, in which case the word has no meaning and this
> > argument is over.
>
> The problem is that you define 'realistic' as: 'just as in reality'
> while most all -players- use it to refer to a set of qualities to
> the game world.

Most all speakers of English use "realistic" and "realism" to refer to
a set of qualities -- which is why we can have such things as the
artistic genre of "magical realism", why people say things like "John
Le Carre's novels present a more realistic view of spying than Ian
Fleming's", and why people can say things like, "I think Jane's
analysis is more realistic than Jim's".  None of these things are
"just as in reality".

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>