[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

msew msew at ev1.net
Thu Feb 22 23:20:43 CET 2001

At 06:56 02/23/2001 +0000, the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

>> There are a great many people who solo play in multi-player games,
>> but will only do that when other players are present in numbers.
>> They don't want to participate in the multi-player aspects, but
>> they do want the second order benefits of having other players
>> active in the environment.

> I don't buy that. You're telling me that there are people who play
> MUDs who _never_ interact with other players?

Well, I guess we need a definition of "interact" now :-) *ducks*

I have seen a couple of people on muds and on EQ that just want to
play the game solo.  They enjoy seeing the shout wars and reading
about the game on the boards, but they really just solo and not group,
trade, talk, hang out with others.

So for a definition of "interact" that means just be seen but not
heard or direct contact with that person, yes there is a set of people
that don't interact and they probably would not play the game if it
were not MMP (as they enjoy being voyeurs of the rest of the folks
that are around).

msew