[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Fri Feb 23 01:06:05 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 01:24:18PM -0800, John Buehler wrote:

> I wonder if a pure reality medieval world, or a pure reality
> colonial america world wouldn't be more amenable to large scale use
> than the fantasy genre.

I think you have a valid point here, and maybe you don't take it far
enough. Just for fun, I went down the most recent NY Times bestselling
hardcover fiction list and tried to catagorize it by genre (much
emphasis on "try"). Here's what I got:

        1-5   realistic, present-day
        6-7   realistic, present-day
        8     military
        9     realistic, present-day
        10    christian fiction
        11    science fiction
        12-20 realistic, present-day
        21-22 fantastic, present-day
        23    realistic, present-day
        24    realistic, cold-war
        25-26 fantastic, present-day
        27    science fiction
        28-29 realistic, present-day
        30    fantasy
        31    realistic, present-day
        32    science fiction
        33-35 realistic, present-day

So I get the totals:

        24 realistic, present-day
        4  fantastic, present-day
        3  science fiction
        1  christian fiction
        1  realistic, cold-war
        1  fantasy
        1  military

So, assuming that best-selling book readers correlate with the kind of
people who would like a light-entertainment mud, and assuming that I
put the books in the right genres, and assuming that this week's list
is representative of the list in general, and assuming any number of
other things: it looks like people might _heavily_ prefer a fairly
realistic (whatever that means) present day setting for such a
light-entertainment mud.