[MUD-Dev] Teaching ethics in MUDs (was Re: "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG")

Adam Casbarian adamcas at concentric.net
Fri Feb 23 07:18:55 CET 2001

Zak Jarvis wrote:

> Ah yes. Rape and pedophilia cannot exist if no one is allowed to
> talk about them. It also really helps if you've been raped to be
> certain that no one can ever talk about rape again.

We know it exists.  We know murder exists, and all kinds of other
things.  Should you allow it to be discussed and/or fantasized and/or
advocated on your mud?  Wouldn't that show yourself as condoning it as
fine?  Maybe that isn't so much an ethical problem so much as a moral
one.

Should you allow people to chat on your mud on how they plan on
blowing up their high school and killing everyone?  Should you allow
people to write a series of emails on your mailing list discussing how
they can each copy each others games and mail them to each other?  We
know it's done anyway, but should your mud permit the use of your game
to do so?

Freedom of speech is allowed to the point that you allow it on your
game.  You can't talk about teaching ethical behavior to your players
if you are not ethical yourself.

Adam