[MUD-Dev] Item Distribution in Areas

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 23 16:26:33 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim S <dlur at chartermi.net>

> I'm curious if anyone has done anything like the proposed 'sensing'
> of the players to modify the rewards before and how it effected both
> the player economy and the overall happiness of the players.

We're experimenting with similar ideas in DAoC.  Our quest engine
tracks quest progress in the character record, and the "Phat Lewt"
items drop only to people on the appropriate step of the quest (which
may be *entirely* contained within the death event of the mob).  The
purpose of this is primarily to eliminate item farming, but we're
looking ahead to "Group Required" mobs, like dragons, that will
require 8 or more characters to kill, and intend to extend the system
so that each member of the killing party would get a reward
appropriate to their class and level.

We can, for example, set it up so that multiple mobs death events are
required to complete the "quest" (quotes because it's not really a
quest, we're simply using our quest engine functionality).  Play wierd
games with the AI in order to tackle the (aged, weak) Goblin King
without his (young, strong) guards, no cookie for you.  We've also
laid the groundwork for "Unique" items, things that will not drop if
*any* other instance of that object exists on the server.

--Dave Rickey