[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 23 18:20:32 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A. Bartle <richard at mud.co.uk>

>On 23 February, 2001, Raph Koster wrote:
>> http://www.edge-online.co.uk/news_main.asp?news_id=3416
>> Hey Richard, you should repost these yourself. ;)

> I wrote it because the editor of Edge Online is a former MUD2 player
> who asked me to do an occasional column for him. My aim with this
> particular one was to get people to think about attitudes to player
> death (whether they agreed or not - I had a "be controversial"
> brief) rather than take on the "party line" of whatever game they
> were playing.  Sadly, judging by the response in the related forum,
> the article did not have the desired effect and I got the (nowadays)
> usual reiteration of how bad player killers are and how I don't
> understand the Way Things Work and how everything is much better in
> <insert name of favourite game here>.

> I didn't post a reference to it here because I didn't feel I'd said
> anything especially new that I hadn't already said in various places
> before in a less confrontational way. I'm not going to complain if
> people read it, though!

I read it, and it's pretty obvious some was directed in my direction
(saw echoes of arguments past).  But there's not much for me to say at
this point, the arguments have been made, the decisions committed to,
DAoC will be geographic PvP without PD.  I believe that's about as
ambitious an experiment as the market is ready for, both in terms of
the state of design and player state of mind.

If nothing else, the players are gunshy about PvP at *all*.  As the
article points out, if they don't feel like they'll have the ability
to say "I don't want to be killed by a player today", they may not
take the box off the shelf.

--Dave Rickey