[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Justin Hooper jhooper at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 23 18:43:51 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Madrona Tree writes:

>> How do I find out what an Aviak Charm is used for, then?  Besides
>> doing the "/gu What's an Aviak Charm for?"  Asking in Guild chat
>> is, in what I was trying to say, the same to me as looking it up on
>> a spoiler site.  There is nothing about the Aviak Charm that says
>> "Centaurs might want this."  If I looted a Centaur Hoof off of an
>> Aviak, I might intuitively know that I should go talk to a centaur
>> about it.

> How do you find out in the real world?  When you see a centaur,
> you'll see it wearing aviak charms around its neck.  So you ask it
> if it wants to buy yours.  Or you carry the aviak charm on the end
> of your walking staff and the centaur sees it and asks if you want
> to sell it.

What if you never see a centaur?

This is completely possible, you know.  You run through once, kill the
bird, keep going elsewhere, and never come back.

Ideally, while I agree 100% with the perception model, there are also
in real life and works of literature characters who make their life's
work to document such things.  Collecting far flung rumors from around
the world in order to catalog them as a history, or treatise, or what
have you..

EQ fails MISERABLY in this department, effectively asking the players
(and ultimately the websites) to fill this role.  This is, of course,
a simply rediculous task for a player to fulfill, thus the websites.

The problem is that writing multiple volumes of well done prose would
be required to do at least a passing job within the game itself, and
this would require capital for content creation.

Justin