[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at worldbenders.com
Sat Feb 24 00:06:34 CET 2001

At 11:37 AM -0800 2/23/01, John Buehler wrote:

>Yes, I *know*.  I've been doing network stuff since 1983 and I've
>*seen* it.  Now please stop citing examples and speak to the topic:
>why do grief players do what they do and can they be actively
>dissuaded?  Sneakily dissuaded?  Stopped outright?  Does it take
>elimination of anonymity?  Some clever application of psychology?  A
>cultural change?  Ignore the fact that you don't believe any of these
>things can happen.  Speculate.  Please.

Improper toilet training? Ethics not taught in school? Not enough
kids go to Sunday school and learn the golden rule?

The main thing I've come up with about grief players is that they do
not care about the person on the other end of the line. At all. I've
had them tell me explicitly they don't believe the other person
really exists. That if it's on the computer it's not real. They have
no connection in their brains that let them understand or empathize
that their actions bother other people, make them mad, upset them. Or
oppositely, they are plain evil and know that and delight in it. The
kinds of people who trip nerdy kids, break their
fingers/glasses/possessions.

Frankly more and  more I think it is a societal problem in that
people don't learn how to behave appropriately around other people.
--

Tamzen