[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Chris Jones cjones at v-wave.com
Sat Feb 24 01:32:00 CET 2001

Ben Chambers wrote:

> Okay.  I was thinking that hey, HTML is good, it's cool and all, but
> many of these things aren't required for a MUD. Now, if we (as in
> the community of MUD Developers, not MUD-DEV alone) developed a
> system that allows us to define an interface from the server that
> the client simply executes, we would have a very useful system.

A couple of points:

  1) The MUD community is very broad: it ranges from hardcore PK, to
  pure RP, to social chatters, to huge graphical games, and everywhere
  in between.  Writing just one system to support all of this range
  will result either in an utterly baroque monstrosity (think Mozilla,
  except with an equally huge protocol), or else something unusable
  due to its utter simplicity.  More likely, it'll be unusable in both
  ways.

  2) Client-independence is important.  People should be able to
  usefully access the system with everything from raw telnet, to a web
  interface, to a custom client, to TinyFugue.  Otherwise, you're
  going to end up limiting your client base.

  3) Doing anything critical on the client-side is, of course,
  verboten.