[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 24 02:53:44 CET 2001

Morning Ryan,

Ryan Rhodes wrote:

> Thats true.  With the garbage collection java has had up until now,
> I've always taken the philosphy that if you are going to create an
> object, try and make it be one your not gonna destroy right
> away... trying to avoid a big shutdown when the garbage collector
> comes along and frees everything at once.  To me, that sounds like
> just hell on a mud.  It sounds like the newer JVM's have alot better
> garbage collection, so maybe I can change my primitive thinking :)

Be sure to read up on GC if you get a chance. :)  JVMs don't really seem
to do some of the more advanced techniques yet.

Some fairly good starting points:

ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/
http://iecc.com/gclist/GC-faq.html
http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/mm/

Personally, I think GC is a great technique to employ within a
long-lived application like a MUD server.  I don't think I'd want to
rely on any of the JVMs that I've seen to date though for that.

For some work that was done on persistence in Java, you might find Sun's
Forest project of interest: http://www.sun.com/research/forest/

  - Bruce