[MUD-Dev] Myn ynd Wymyn (was Teaching ethics in MUDs)

Willowreed at aol.com Willowreed at aol.com
Sat Feb 24 17:16:41 CET 2001

In a message dated 2/24/2001 1:57:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
adamcas at concentric.net writes:

> Choice 1:
>
>   Ignore the potential problem and hope for the best.
>
> Choice 2:
>
>   Assume that everyone needs a guardian angel of some kind and
>   protect everyone from the potential danger.  This may step on the
>   toes of those who feel they can protect themselves, but I don't
>   mind since it produces a healthier playerbase for the mud by
>   getting rid of the 'bad' people.  >

I am an AOL user (its ok to laugh), Their Terms of Service are strict
about leaving phone numbers and any personal information that could
lead to finding anyone's personal information out on their message
boards, or given in a public or member chat.

I think this is a good idea, especially in the situation AOL is in,
with a huge member base. I would think that it would also be a good
idea to have some sort of age limit on members in a game, to help
avoid possible problems. I don't know how young that limit should be,
but maybe they have to own a credit card.  Yes I know there are ways
to work around that for those that are going to try to do it, but if
there was a problem, and it was found that a particular member lied
about their age..  at least the game service is covered.

Not sure of other ways to avoid the problems but maybe that is one way
that is workable.

wils